Saturday 5 June 2021


Hollow Years?!

The past couple of years have been extremely challenging for the whole world, I am sure. 

But here, I am just looking to share my personal experience, not only with some crazy things that happened in my life that I never saw coming. moments of joy for sure but also very scary ones too. From 2019 onwards, I literally had to born again and rebuilt my life from scratch after having tried to pursue  my dream: To Live Abroad! 

Before I come to that, a story must be told, so sit back and relax, if you will!:

I left my country in 2014 with a bag full of hopes and expectations but not a real plan in mind. I  decided to accomplish long wished dream of living in English speaking country in Europe. One thing was certain,  I was going to attend a 3-month English course and take the Cambridge Certification's Exam. After that, I had no idea what I was going to do - go back home? get a job and try to make living there and stay? - so I decided to go with the flow. 

And there I went .. free flying in the unknown!

My first stop was London. 

I remember being incredibly excited to get there and see all those things we just hear about. Well, I wasn't a baby anymore, I had travelled abroad before a few times (not to Europe though) but I thought II knew my way around it. So naïve! 

On my first day in the Hostel, I had my first shock! I could barely understand the "concierge". An English  handsome guy in his 20's. I got what he said by context and had to bring my super heavy bag to the top floor of the building ( I didn't know lift were rare in Europe). The room was tiny and had 2 bunkbeds, meaning 4 people would say there- shocking again! Luckily only one girl stayed there in the first week but after her I had few girls came and went - I had chosen an only female room.

After a few hours of a well-needed snooze I went down to grab some food and asked the guy at the reception for some directions and OMG! I pretended to understand him, he even gave me a map, but honestly it was super hard! LOL I was starving, so there I went looking for a place to eat. I walked, walked and walked and obviously got lost. It was getting dark, there were very few people in the streets and the ones I stopped to ask for directions seemed to speak another language but not English. Well, I learned the lesson and the next day bought a SIM card to mobile and started using City Map.

Next days I met friends from my country and they showed Camden Town, Oxford Street, etc, etc. Classed started in January, I arrived in London in the end of November, so I had a whole month to explore and even travel. Spent Xmas Eve in Paris. 

To be continued ...


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hollow Years?! The past couple of years have been extremely challenging for the whole world, I am sure.  But here, I am just looking to shar...